Quilt Archive

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Flame

Hello Blog Friends!

I have been very busy since my last post several weeks ago.  Multi-tasking is my middle name this month.  I have actually been working on four different projects, and I'll share them with you in the coming weeks.  First, however, is Flame...


As you can see, Flame is finished.  This is definitely a modern piece, somewhat of a departure for me, as I tend to prefer more traditional designs.  Every now and then, however, a pattern catches my eye and Voilà , another modern design is added to my repertoire.

I first saw this wall quilt several years ago at Going to Pieces Quilt Shop in Appleton. The pattern is from the Modern Applique Workbook by Jenifer Dick. I used a fused, raw edge applique technique on the flames. Raw edges are sewn down with a blanket stitch. The background "sky" and "water" are both heavily quilted, which is also a departure for me. I used an echo quilting technique in the "sky" portion to suggest heat waves emanating from the flames. The "water" portion is quilted by free motion lines, close together and in a back and forth pattern. This is to suggest movement in the water.  The flames themselves are quilted very little, in order to make them stand out from the background.

My husband, Denis, will be making a wooden decorative wall holder for this item.  Soon it will be adorning my living room wall!

Till next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment