Quilt Archive

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Vintage 1970's Sewing

Hello Blog Friends,

It is throw-back Wednesday!  Journey with me back to the 1970's with this project I just completed.

I have been looking for a lightweight, cotton summer robe, longer length, buttons down the front.  I didn't want terrycloth, knit or fleece.  I didn't want a tie front.  I guess what I really wanted was something they used to call a "duster" housecoat.  Exactly!!  But, can you find one in the stores today....No.  So, I went to eBay and found a vintage uncut robe and nightgown pattern, found suitable fabric at JoAnn Fabrics, came home and started sewing.  The fabric I used is a mint green with a subtle white shimmery dot (best way I can describe that).  I added some lace to the collar to make it stand out a bit from the rest of the robe and white buttons to coordinate.  I, of course, had to shorten the overall length and sleeves before cutting (I always have found these patterns seem to be designed with the Amazon woman in mind!).  I hemmed the sleeves at wrist length, as I wanted them loose (no cuffs or elastic).  Pockets are set into the side seams and the hem falls about ankle length.  

The pattern's version:

My version:

The sewing went really fast...I completed this in about 10 hours of sewing.  I'm really liking this project...just what I wanted, functional and no hand sewing at all.  It has been awhile since I did any garment sewing...the 5/8" seam allowance seemed huge compared to the 1/4" I've been using for quilting the past 10 years.  And although it has been 15-20 years since I've done any garment sewing, all the tips and tricks I learned in the past came back...it must be just like riding a bicycle...once learned, you never forget!

I wanted this so I can have my morning coffee on the new deck that is coming this summer.  Also, I am traveling in August with other members of my family and we will be staying together in a rented house.  It will be a nice cover up for that, too.

This is an item on the June Queue list...but, I felt it needed a blog post all to itself!  

On to the next item in the queue....

No comments:

Post a Comment