Quilt Archive

Sunday, December 23, 2018

A Homemade Christmas Memory Lane

Hello Blog Friends,

This year I'm celebrating Christmas in a different house.  I thought I might share how I decorated our home for the holidays and also take a little walk down my own homemade Christmas memory lane.  My living room:




Here are the stockings hung with care at my fireplace.  I hand stitched each one with willing hands and a loving heart.  I have Denis' and mine, and between us (where she always wanted to lay) is the one I made for my (late) Betty Kat.  Santa (aka Joe Cool) and Reindeer with sunglasses is just plain cute!  And I am in love with the sock monkey and sock reindeer on the sled.  These are all made of felt and purchased as kits.  I have made these stockings for family and friends since my own girls were small.  Soon I will start my stockpile of stockings for any future great-grandchildren that may come along someday.



I love this dress!  I made it last year as a decoration, and again it adorns my home.  It is made entirely of flannel, and I have to admit that I fondle it each time I walk by.  


This quilt on the rack is called "Retro Christmas" for good reason.  The endearing pictures of children are evocative of the 1950's (my own decade!)  And it is made from flannel, my favorite fabric to work with.  




Here's a pillow that I made several years ago.  I made one almost identical for my mother, and had enough fabric left over to make one for myself.  Her pillow is now with one of her granddaughters, and this one reminds me of her each time I see it.


Here is a grouping new to my collection last year.  What a fun group. Quilt and pillows.  Morty the Sock Monkey is not new, he has been with me for a number of years.



And, here the Prairie Point Pinwheel Wreath that hangs near my front door.




Here's a grouping on the side table in the living room.  The hex table mat, plastic needlepoint tissue box cover and my Vintage Christmas Card scrapbook.



This triple mini quilt on stand was perfect for this spot on the mantle this year.  See the original post here.



This is a felt advent calendar that I made in 1974, so it predates even my oldest daughter.  It was the first felt and sequin project that I ever did.  I remember the store where I bought it in LaCrosse, Doerflinger's Department Store (no longer in business).  It has been a cherished decoration in our home since then.  I still love it.


And, underneath all those chocolate goodies is a table runner made from tumbler blocks.  

Please have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  I will not post again for a couple of weeks.  Today begins a week and a half of non-stop holiday activity and travels.  

Until next time...







No comments:

Post a Comment