Quilt Archive

Monday, November 11, 2019

Flannel Quilt Project #3

Greetings Blog Friends,

Well, it is still cold outside and still warm in my sewing room, so I have another finished project to share with you.  This one has a story attached to it...I bought these fabrics as a kit from Jeri's Quilt Shop in Norway, Michigan.  (A great little shop, one of my favorites!  I get there several time each year when we are in Iron Mountain visiting my husband's brother and his wife.)  It was packaged as a quilt using Churn Dash blocks.  I love the border print, printed panel images and other coordinating fabrics.  I am not so much a fan of the Churn Dash block, however.  That must be why I haven't made it.  And, in my opinion, I don't think that block lends itself well to flannels.  Too many small pieces and seams, which creates a bulky mess!  

I found a pattern that suited the fabrics well from Mary Quilts.com called Happy Blocks from Charms.  I altered the block size to fit the panel images and also added an outer border, so I could use that gorgeous border print on the front.  I just didn't want to hide it on the back.  It is what I love most about this quilt.  

A word about the border...the quilting gods must have been smiling on me, because the yardage I had for the border was just long enough on the sides to match up to the blocks, but not long enough to match up to the top and bottom borders.  So, I made four corner blocks to make up the difference, and here is the finished top:





Meanwhile, it's back to the sewing machine for me.  Till next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment