Quilt Archive

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Vintage Christmas Flannel Quilt

Greetings Blog Friends,

I have finished Flannel Quilt #4, and this one actually has a name, Vintage Christmas II!  Fabric is from the Christmas Kitsch line by Cloe's Closet for Moda.  The prints are primarily in primary reds and greens and have a definite vintage 1950's feel.  I have a quilt in my collection from other fabrics in this line.  These fabrics were printed approximately 6-8 years ago, so this fabric has been waiting awhile also.  I have enough for the quilt top, backing, binding and a couple of pillowcases.  

I purchased the fabrics because I like the collection, but never did have a definite pattern in mind for it.  I was searching around the internet for suitable patterns (simple piecing was a "must" to keep bulky seams in check) and found this one on the All People Quilt website.  This pattern is called "On The Fly" and I adapted it to use have 4" x 8" finished rectangles instead of the 3" x 6" called for in the pattern.  I wanted to showcase the vintage prints a little more.  


I used the stripe for both interior blocks and also for the sashing.  Instead of cutting one long strip for sashing, I cut strip WOF (width of fabric) and sewed them together end to end, matching the stripes.  The seam lines are virtually invisible. So, a few alterations and voila, my version is as seen above.  

I made this quilt with random (or not??) fabric placement for a scrappy look.  

More to report next time.  Till then

No comments:

Post a Comment