Quilt Archive

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Aspen Autumn HSTs done!

Hello Blogger Friends,

I have some progress to report...my HSTs are done!  This pattern had an unusual way of making them (at least I've never done HSTs this way before):

First, I cut a 17" square of two fabrics.  I placed them right sides together, then drew a grid of squares on the lighter piece.  Diagonals were then also drawn in the squares.  Then, I stitched 1/4" from each side of the diagonals, then cut the  squares and diagonals on all drawn lines.  From the 17" squares of fabrics, I wound up with 32 3 1/2" sewn squares and a little bit of scrap.  I've never made HST blocks this way before, so this was a new one on me.

The stitching lines were a scant 1/4", so some of the squares needed to be trimmed just a slight bit to the 3 1/2" finished size.  Also, because I used a continuous line from edge to edge, each set of sewn triangles had a few stitches on the opposite corner (from the center stitched seam).  I quickly removed these corner stitches so I could open the piece up to press.

Next time, adding some color!

No comments:

Post a Comment