Quilt Archive

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Rhapsody in Red Tote Bag

Greetings Blogger friends!

I've finished my last project before the sewing machine goes to the shop for a much deserved tune up. 

Here is my Rhapsody in Red tote bag.

I originally purchased this bag as a kit from Connecting Threads.  However, I decided to change out some fabrics, and make it my very own.  I made this bag specifically to carry my tablet with tablet cover.  It was fairly simple to make and I think it turned out great!

And it's my favorite color, too.

See you again next time....

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Urban Graffiti, Top Done

Hello Blog Friends!

Welcome back.  I'm happy to announce that I've finished the Urban Graffiti quilt top! 

Block and outer border fabrics from Timeless Treasures Modern collection.  Sashing and inner border is Marbles Black by Moda.  Pattern is Urban Graffiti by Cotton Tales Patterns.

I love it!

I'm hard at work at my next project.  This one is for me and is made in my favorite color.  Any guesses???  Till next time.....

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Urban Graffiti, New Project

Hello Fellow Bloggers!

Have you ever seen a group of fabrics that just totally grabbed you and you had to make something with them?  If you're reading this, then the answer is mostly likely...Yes!  Well, I was in Antoinette's Quilt Shop in Plover in December (getting a Christmas gift card for my mother) when I saw these fabrics.  I just don't know why, but I just love them, and I loved the quilt sample using them.  But, because it was Christmas and I still had shopping to do, I reluctantly left without them.  But, I did not forget them!  We were over to Plover several weeks ago to visit Mom, and of course, we stopped in at Antoinette's again.  This time the fabrics just wouldn't let me go away empty handed, so they came home with me.  Here they are:

These fabrics are from the Modern line by Timeless Treasures.  Pattern is called Urban Graffiti by Cotton Tales Patterns.  Fabrics have been washed, pressed, cut, and construction has started.  I'll show you the finished quilt top next post.

Until then....

Monday, February 3, 2014

Snack Attack! Top is Done!

Welcome back, blog friends!

The sewing machine has been humming again, and this time I'm ready to share my progress so far on the Snack Attack jar quilt.

Here is the finished quilt top.  All I can say is "WOW!"  I  just love it!

I used a wood grain fabric for the "shelves", sides, top and bottom of the shelving unit the jars are sitting in.  I also found a fun print with small multi dots for the outer border.  I really love this quilt, and I think my grandson will too.

What is absolutely wonderful about it, is that I have enough of the snack prints to make at least 3 more quilts.  I think I'll make one for myself, one as a raffle donation for church, and one for....I don't know yet? 

I'm just getting started on the next project...more next time!  See you then...

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Snack Attack Blocks

Hello Bloggers!

My next project is well underway...Snack Attack!  While surfing the 'net about a year ago, I happened upon a quilt that grabbed hold of my imagination and wouldn't let go.  It was a representation of a pantry closet with jars filled with fruits and vegetables.  I loved it.  I wanted to make a quilt for my oldest grandson, who is 11 and is a snacker (his favorite is potato chips).  This quilt is meant to take him through his teen years to his HS graduation.  I thought about the jar quilt, and thought...why not jars of snack items sitting on shelves in a pantry cupboard or closet?  I attended a number of quilt shows last spring and summer and began to gather as many fat quarters as I could depicting snack items.  These could be salty snacks, chocolate snacks, or candy snacks.  I came up with almost 30 different prints over the course of about 6 months.   What I didn't find in person, I found at various online quilt shops.

Here is one of the blocks I've made from the prints:

As you can see, the background of the print is black, as well as the borders around each block.  I wanted the jars to be reminiscent of glass canning jars, complete with zinc lids.  (I found a gray fabric that was perfect for this!).  The subject of each print needed to be busy enough, however, to give a good outline of the jar.  I found the pattern (aka bug jar) at about.com.  If you Google "jar quilt", you'll find it in the listings.

There will be a total of 25 jar blocks in this quilt when finished.  Here are a few more of the blocks that I have finished:

Next post I'll show you the finished quilt top.