Quilt Archive

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Snack Attack Blocks

Hello Bloggers!

My next project is well underway...Snack Attack!  While surfing the 'net about a year ago, I happened upon a quilt that grabbed hold of my imagination and wouldn't let go.  It was a representation of a pantry closet with jars filled with fruits and vegetables.  I loved it.  I wanted to make a quilt for my oldest grandson, who is 11 and is a snacker (his favorite is potato chips).  This quilt is meant to take him through his teen years to his HS graduation.  I thought about the jar quilt, and thought...why not jars of snack items sitting on shelves in a pantry cupboard or closet?  I attended a number of quilt shows last spring and summer and began to gather as many fat quarters as I could depicting snack items.  These could be salty snacks, chocolate snacks, or candy snacks.  I came up with almost 30 different prints over the course of about 6 months.   What I didn't find in person, I found at various online quilt shops.

Here is one of the blocks I've made from the prints:

As you can see, the background of the print is black, as well as the borders around each block.  I wanted the jars to be reminiscent of glass canning jars, complete with zinc lids.  (I found a gray fabric that was perfect for this!).  The subject of each print needed to be busy enough, however, to give a good outline of the jar.  I found the pattern (aka bug jar) at about.com.  If you Google "jar quilt", you'll find it in the listings.

There will be a total of 25 jar blocks in this quilt when finished.  Here are a few more of the blocks that I have finished:

Next post I'll show you the finished quilt top. 

2 comments: