Quilt Archive

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Dressing the Fireplace for Winter

Hello Blog Friends!

Well, winter is finally here in Wisconsin!  Today was a snowy day, and what better to do than work on a sewing project?  Today's project was the final touch on a fireplace makeover for winter.  

Since we moved into our house in April, I have hated this cement hearth.  There was a wood burning fireplace in here before us (we have gas) and it is soiled and discolored.  Oh, I know I could clean it (and I will, eventually), but for now I have decided to just cover it up.  Ick:


The jelly roll rug was a perfect project for this!  I followed directions in the pattern Jelly-Roll Rug2 by RJ Designs.  For this winter hearth rug, I chose a jelly roll in the Woolies Flannel line by Maywood Studios.  Woolies fabric line is cotton flannels in prints that resemble woolen items.  It is perfect for cold and winter themed projects.  Rug size 20" x 40".  I used 31 of the 40 jelly roll strips in this project, because I made to fit the hearth. (I already have a plan to use the other 9 strips in another project.).  Here's the rug on the hearth:



I fronted the rug and hearth with another project that I finished earlier in the week.  Let It Snow is bench pillow size, 16" x 38" finished.  It features wool applique shapes (fused, then sewn down with buttonhole stitch) on blue toweling.  The back is a Fairy Frost print by Michael Miller.  Pattern by Shabby Fabrics.com.



I loved the winter greenery garland so much as part of our Christmas decorations (with colored lights) that I decided to use it with the winter theme decor.  I switched out the colored lights for white ones, and voila, the look is complete.


This room makes me happy!!

Till next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment