Quilt Archive

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Old and New Dining Room Decor

Happy Summer, Blog Friends!

I'm still working on the summer decor items I mentioned last week.  I'll have those finished, however, for next week's post.  

I do have something to share with all of you, tho...some old and new dining room decor!  The old is a my dining room table, newly refinished and the new is a cute table runner just completed.

We've had this table for 12 years, and bought it as a used set in 2007.  We refinished the table top just after we acquired it, and again about 5 years ago.  Well, it was beginning to show wear and tear, especially after the move last year and it was time for a facelift.  As is the case with roof shingles (you can only shingle over two layers), we found that you can only refinish the poly twice on a surface.  So, I sanded for three days and took the finish all the way down to bare wood.  Two coats of stain and three coats of poly later, and voilá! Finished!



The runner is made from 5" charms and yardage from the Farm Girl Vintage Fabric line by Riley Blake.  The pattern was designed by Lori Holt.  The 5" charms were cut down to a rectangle, then corner, side and top pieces were applied.  The finished blocks are 5 1/2" x 5 1/2, definitely smaller than what I usually work with.  33 blocks make up the body of the runner, size 17" x 57".  I quilted it in an all-over meander pattern.

I love the fabrics and the general pattern of the runner.  Making this project reminded me why I don't do many small scale items!  

Next week...summer decor items!  Till then...


No comments:

Post a Comment