Quilt Archive

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Summer Quilt Decor

Greetings Blog Friends!

I've been working on a very fun ensemble for the last couple of weeks.  A quilt and three throw pillows in very colorful, summery fabrics in blues, reds, greens, yellows and whites.  As I was decorating for summer recently, the sofa seemed very bare and boring.  I decided that is sorely needed decoration, and so a plan for some sprucing up was put into action.

In June of 2015, I made County Fair, a throw quilt using the A la Carte collection of fabrics from American Jane for Moda.  It is a disappearing four patch patterns that used both charm squares (5" squares) and yardage from that line.  You can see the finished quilt here.  Because I was going for a certain look for this quilt, I wound up using parts of not one, but two charm packs, which left a number of charms left over.  Well, after hanging out in the stash pile for four long years, they will finally see the light of day again.  

Meanwhile, in the time since then, I acquired a jelly roll in the same colorway named "Lorraine", also by designers American Jane for Moda.  The prints are similar in nature and blended together well.  So here is what I made:



A quilt that I have named Summer Picnic.  The pattern is from Missouri Star Quilt Company, "Stack and Flip Quilt".  I changed the pattern a bit, using only 30 strips instead of 33 and tightened up the borders and sashing a bit so I could use 1 yard of off-white Kona cotton that I had in the stash.  Basically, the strips are all sewn together in a stack.  You then trim the stack and slice it into three columns of varying widths.  After you add sashing to the middle slice, you invert it, then sew the slices back together and add borders.  A simple construction technique that also adds some visual interest.   For backing, I purchased a blue and green print from a quilt shop having a fantastic clearance sale...I got it for $4.00 a yard!  Finished size:  50" x 66"

Three throw pillows.  These are a blend of both fabric lines and are 100% from the stash.  

1.  This one is made from jelly roll strips.  Pattern is from a gal named Brandvig, who lives in Seattle and writes a quilting blog, "Quilting in the Rain".  Size: 16" x 16".  This was made from the leftover strips from the quilt.




2.  This one is made from 84 2 1/2" squares, which I cut from both left over jelly rolls and charm squares.  Size 14" x 14".  This is made from scraps and leftovers.  A totally stash-busting project.



3.  This is a nine-patch, using charm squares and a thin border.  Size 14" x 14".  Again, made from all fabrics from the stash.



I reused the pillow forms (from pillows coordinating with Love Is All You Need quilt).  

The two quilts and pillows coordinate beautifully.  Happy Day and Happy House!


So, I'll bet you're wondering...with all this stash sewing going on, is the stash getting any smaller.  The answer is.....Sadly, No!  But, to a quilter, it's not a bad thing!  LOL


Construction Update:  The room addition is built, just waiting for other contractors to finish.  In the meantime, the house is getting a facelift with new siding and new garage door.  Progress is being made!!



Till next time....A Stitch In time Reprise















No comments:

Post a Comment