Quilt Archive

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Home for Christmas Flannel Quilt

Greetings Blog Friends,

Today I would like to share a quilt finish a year in the making.  I first made this quilt top in late December last year in 2019.  By the time I finished the top, Christmas was over and I was already in prep mode for our trip to Florida at the end of January.  So, this lovely quilt top wound up in the hanging file (closet) and patiently waited its turn to see the light of day again.  I'm happy to say that it is now finished and will be in use in my own living room this Christmas season.


NOTE:  I wanted to take this photograph outside on a sunny day and is taken off our backyard deck.  Because the sun is so low in the sky now, the colors have a warm late afternoon hue and a limb of our backyard tree created the shadow you see.

This quilt is based on a pattern I have used before...Switchback by Purple Pineapple Studio.  I love it as a scrappy layout.  The original pattern featured only four vertical columns; I added a fifth to make it a little wider.  This quilt is made from stash fabrics in a variety of flannels that I have had for years and from leftovers from recent quilts.  It’s name is based on some of the flannel prints.  They evoke a strong sense of nostalgia and of “home”:

  

These photos give you and idea of the true colors in the prints.


I really love it as a very welcome addition to our home décor this Christmas.

More Christmas sewing to share next time.  'Til then....



No comments:

Post a Comment