Quilt Archive

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Heather's Jewel Box

Welcome Back, Blog Friends,

I've started project #1 for 2014, a lap quilt that I have named "Heather's Jewel Box".  Heather is our lovely and gifted niece who is about to leave graduate school with a Master's Degree in Psychology.  She will hang out her shingle soon after graduation this spring.  I'm hoping that after a long day at the office seeing patients, she'll come home, kick off her shoes, cuddle up in this quilt with a glass of wine, and unwind from the day. 

Heather loves color, and this quilt certainly fits this description.  I had the opportunity recently to visit Jeri's Quilt Patch in Norway, MI.  I saw a finished sample of this quilt in the store and thought of Heather immediately.  I purchased the pattern "Hole in the Wall Quilt", as well as a fat quarter bundle in rich jewel tones.  (This picture just didn't do the fabrics justice).  The jewels themselves are from several different lines, and all feature small tone-on-tone prints. 




The finished blocks are rather large at 15 1/2" square, with a total of 12 blocks.  There is sashing within, between, and outside the blocks.  The black sashing is from the Marbles line by Moda.  No formal border will be used in this quilt. 

So far, I have all 12 blocks made, and I'm in process of joining blocks and sashing.  I'll be back soon with the finished quilt top!

Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment