Quilt Archive

Sunday, June 23, 2019

All You Need is Love....Love is All You Need

Hi Blog Friends...

So, what comes to mind when you read the title to this post?  Well, if you are a Baby Boomer, the Beatles come to mind.  I can hear John Lennon's voice singing this song in my head right now as I write this.  

Anyone who knows me knows that I love the Beatles...always have, always will.  I had the wonderful opportunity to see Paul McCartney in concert at County Stadium in Milwaukee 26 years ago and again this past weekend at Lambeau Field in Green Bay.  He still looks and sounds great.  Denis and I had a wonderful time.  Here is Sir Paul at his best...

I have also been working on a quilt for myself lately.  The top was finished and the quilt was pinned in May, but had to wait for a couple of weeks for quilting and binding.  (A rummage sale and retirement party took precedence!)  Well, $400 in my pocket and 1 retired husband later, I'm back to the sewing room and to finishing this quilt.  


I picked up this quilt kit on my recent trip to Missouri (see that post here. ).  I found this at Quilting Expressions in LeClaire, Iowa on our last day out.  It was on sale, with an added discount just for our bus!  I also got the backing that day, also on sale, so it was an economical project.  The pattern is called Square Lattice Quilt by mckay manor musers.  Fabrics features a printed panel and coordinating fabrics from the Love Lives Here collection by Clothworks.  The quilt name comes directly from one of the panels.  I chose to quilt it in straight line, cross hatch and outline grids.  Finished size is 45" x 60". 

I'm not completely satisfied with the outcome of the quilt.  It was great before I quilted it.  Finished product, however, not so great.  It is very "puckery" (for lack of a better word).  The fabrics were a lightweight, fine weave.  I used a walking foot, but this one gave me so much trouble.  In retrospect, I realize that I probably should have lessened the presser foot pressure a little.  At the time, I didn't even think of it, as I never had had to do it before now.  Oh well...Live and Learn.  And, as the saying goes, "Nothing handmade is perfect".  This one certainly isn't, but I'll keep it and display it anyway.  (It actually looks worse in the photograph than it does in person).  I'm also considering a redo.  Wish me better luck on the next projects...

...next time, a June Queue Update!!

2 comments:

  1. What a great keepsake from your travels to LeClaire, Iowa. Yes, live and learn with the walking foot - thank you for sharing that with us. The Love Lives Here collection is sweet. But even sweeter is attending the Paul McCartney concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the concert was great..this quilt not so much. But, as always, I'm my own worst critic. LOL

    ReplyDelete