Quilt Archive

Thursday, June 6, 2019

Apple π Quilt AND Sewing in Secret

Greetings Blog Friends,

Today I'm showing you a special project I have been working on...I must confess that for the past month I have been "sewing in secret."  This project is a quilt given as a Retirement Gift for my husband Denis.  He is a Mechanical Design Engineer working in the paper making industry.  In his job, he used the mythical number known as Pi (3.1415926535...) in calculations quite often.  When I found this pattern online several years ago, I knew it would be perfect for this life event.  

Pattern is by Cheryl Brickey of A Meadow Mist Designs.  It calls for paper-pieced numbers, but I chose to applique instead.  Each block features a raw edge applique number 4.5 inches high.  Instead of "dots", I used an apple motif, and embroidered the stem and leaves.  (Denis not only loves the numberical pi, but also loves Apple Pie).  I chose a very simple quilting design, a straight line grid.  Finished size:  50" x 62".


Fabrics:  Light gray Grunge by Moda for block backgrounds and sashing.  Numbers and dark inner border is a blender print by Timeless Treasures.  Quilters Linen by Robert Kaufman was used in outer border and binding was from the Bear Essentials line by P & B Textiles.  

This quilt was made to be used as a wall hanging, so I also attached a hanging sleeve.  Denis' first project as a retired person is to make a quilt hanger for his very own quilt.  It will be one of many made, I'm sure.  The quilt will hang in his office, which is under construction as this very moment.  

This quilt features a custom label...created from images found online and printed it on fabric. 

Next up...what is in the June sewing queue?  (I love the word "queue", by the way).  It is so British/European sounding!  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment