Quilt Archive

Sunday, August 9, 2020

Beating the Dog Days

Greetings Blog Friends,

Well, I've tried to follow the suggestions for taming those dog days of summer blahs.  Here is how I did:

Day One.  I started getting enough sleep at night.  No more late nights staring at the same TV shows I've seen many times before.  I assembled an easy scrapbooking kit of just 4 pages, but I like them, very "summery" indeed.  I also sewed my blocks for this week's jolly bar quilt-along and neutralized the ironing basket, consisting mostly of pillowcases.  

Day Two.  I cleaned out one of my fabric cupboards (the one I use all the time).  I needed to..each time I opened the door, something fell out of the lower shelf.  This closet is organized well for the most part, just the lower shelf was a jumble of loose fabrics, patterns and kits shoved in.  Sooner or later, it had to give...and it did...all over the floor.  So, I sorted and planned some quick finish projects to work on.  The sorted fabrics were sent off to the laundry.  Mission accomplished.



Day Three.  Today was a scrapping day.  I all but finished a very large project involving 16 pages to cut and assemble.  These pages are made from Close to My Heart Happiest Place collection, page designs by Susan Williams (Justcrazyblessed.blogspot.com) Add to that, some laundry (all those fabrics!), and some household chores.




Day Four.  Today was another scrapping day.  I finished the big projects and assembled pages for two kits that I had in the queue.  These pages are from Close to My Heart Stitched Together collection, page designer is Kristy Schoon.  I'm reducing the paper stash little by little.  I also wrote a letter to a friend and cleaned up the scrapping mess.  I'm going to switch gears to sewing and work on some of those quick projects.



Day Five.  Today  is a sewing day!  Two pillowcases and a tea towel to hang in my kitchen.  The fabric for the pillowcases is from the Wisconsin Quilt Shop Hop from 2014.  I originally had thought about a Wisconsin quilt, but have decided on another fabric line for that.  I love the postcard and postmark prints.  Now we can always dream of home wherever we and are our pillows are!





I also made myself a facemask from the postmark print.


Day Six.  Another sewing day!   I started working on a couple of Christmas gifts for a friend of mine.  She has a cat and a dog.  Well, anyone who has a pet knows they can be messy eaters (just like children!).  What better and useful gift that a placemat for each...a fish shape for the cat and a bone for the dog.  More on these next post.  How fun!

Day Seven.  Cleaning Day!  Yes, time to clean up the detritus of everyday life.  I usually work for 4-5 hours, but then am rewarded with a nice clean house, for a short time, at least!  

After a week of doing something every day, I can say that I'm feeling less like a lazy dog and more like myself again.  Onward!

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment