Quilt Archive

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Dining in Style

 Dining in Style -- Doggie and Kitty Style, That is!

Greetings Blog Friends!

This week I'm sharing a fun little project to jazz up meal time for our furry friends.  We all know that our pet friends can be messy eaters at times, so how about a placemat to help with that?  

These are a pair of placemats I made for a Christmas gift for a friend of mine.  Both of these feature the patchwork pattern printed on fusible fleece.  Both designs are offered by June Tailor, Inc.  Fabrics are from my stash, some purchased in the past especially for these projects, some leftovers from other projects.  A fat quarter was used as the backing.  Basically, you just line up your fabric to the printed lines on the fleece and sew!  It is a quilt-as-you-go project and by the time you are done adding your fabrics, just add binding and done!

Here's the doggie dogbone placemat.  The center WOOF paw and bones print was used on the back and for the binding.  I accented the seam lines with zig-zag topstitching.


Here's a fishy placemat for the kitty.  I found this several years ago at Antoinette's Quilt Shop in Stevens Point, WI, along with some fat quarters of cat prints.  They have been waiting in the stash for at least three years.  I added some fabrics of my own.  A fish bones print is on the back and the binding is a tone-on-tone white print.  

Both mats required a bias binding, which really behaves exceptionally well around curves.  Size for both is 10" x 18" at the widest points.  These were easy projects to complete.  And, you know how I love to use up the leftovers...I even had enough to make my friend a pillowcase! One Christmas gift completed!

A special quilt finish for a special young man is up for next week's post.  Till then...


No comments:

Post a Comment