Quilt Archive

Monday, March 25, 2013

Desert Sky

Shortly after I made the Stonewall Farm quilt (from an earlier post), I was in JoAnn Fabrics and noticed this quilt.  This is one of their quilt block programs, and when I saw this I just had to make it for my mother.  She had just recently (after the death of my stepfather) moved back to Wisconsin after many years of living in the west, first in Reno, Nevada, then in Grand Junction, Colorado.  She missed the desert, and I thought this might be of some comfort to her.  So, I collected all the blocks, binding and backing fabrics and set about making this quilt.  This is a full/queen size quilt, and was quite the project for a beginner.  I learned many things making this quilt.  It consists of 12" pieced blocks surrounding an appliqued medallion.  I finished this quilt in time to give it to Mom for Christmas. 
Here is the quilt on Mom's bed.
Mom and quilt at Christmas (2009).
Here is the quilt diary page showing all the elements of this quilt.

Overall, I was very satisfied with this project.  I came away with a great sense of accomplishment and with some very valuable learn-as-you-go lessons.  It is not perfect, but nothing handmade ever is.

No comments:

Post a Comment