Quilt Archive

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pillowcases

So I was going through my fabric stash last fall, and found I had a lot of pieces 1+ yard(s) in length.  Some were juvenile prints I had purchased for projects for my grandchildren, curtains for Denis' office, etc. but didn't use or had leftover (don't we all do that...buy fabric, then find the perfect one later).  I was thinking about doing another donation project and decided upon pillowcases this time.  I searched the internet for the best pillowcase pattern, and wound up creating my own from several others I found.  I think I have incorporated the best of all of them into one.  Each pillowcase now takes me 45 minutes or less to complete.  In all, I made 10 pillowcases for donation to a local child abuse intake center.  They loved them.  I just hope the children who receive them love them as well.  I tried to make a variety for both girls and boys.
 Footballs and helmets
 Minnie Mouse
 Old Fashioned Kitties
Teddy Bears 
 Airplanes
 More Airplanes 
 Kitties at Play
Owls



I have plans to make more pillowcases for donation this year.  Earlier this winter, my grandson Corey was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes, and spent several days at Children's Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin.  They took very good care of him there, and he came away with his own pillowcase (which he is very proud of) that someone had lovingly sewn and donated.  I want to repay this kindness.  My goal is to have 10 more pillowcases ready for donation by September.  I'll be in Madison again for the Quilt Expo.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

So, you're thinking, "WOW" that is great!  Well, those first ten pillowcases were  not the end of this pillowcase story.  Stay tuned for the next installment of "Pillowcases, Part 2" for more details.








No comments:

Post a Comment