Quilt Archive

Thursday, January 2, 2020

2020 New Year's Resolutions

Greetings Blog Friends,

As we start a new decade, I have decided to start it out with not one, but two Resolutions for 2020:

The first one is to continue to sew/scrap down the stash of fabric and paper that I have.  I already have projects lined up in the queue (yes...there is my favorite word...AGAIN!!).  

The second Resolution is something much more personal and involves the pursuit and attainment of the elusive thing called "Happiness".   Yes, friends, it can be found, but requires a great deal of soul searching and personal change and growth.  Read on...

I recently came across a book to help me on my journey.  "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz.  Have you heard of it?  It is not a large book and not hard to read or understand.  In it, Ruiz discusses the ancient Toltec wisdom and way of living.  The Toltec were people who lived in central Mexico thousand of years ago.  They were "scientists and artists who formed a society to explore and conserve the spiritual knowledge and practices of the ancient ones."  The book explores these practices and interjects an emphasis also on the spiritual masters that are worshipped on earth.  It is not a "bible", per se, but a guidebook to help you on the journey to a happier life.  It is up to each individual to take from it what pertains to them.  As with all books, each person's perception of the concepts will be different from others.



The Four Agreements discussed in the book are agreements between you and yourself:
1.  Be Impeccable with your Word.  Kindness and compassion to others is very important!  
2.  Don't take Anything Personally.  This is an area that I have struggled with.  I tend to take things personally, and when I do, I take other people's negativity (both real and imaginary) into my own life, causing me great unhappiness.  I am trying now not to do that, and have found the power of forgiveness to be a great help.
3.  Don't make Assumptions.  Another area I struggle with.  This one is closely tied to Agreement 2, and for me, sometimes they go hand-in-hand.
4.  Always do your Best.  Live life to the fullest, live up to these agreements with yourself and be strong in your commitment.  Find the happiness that is your inherent right.

In learning how to live up to these agreements, I hope to right some wrongs I have done and to understand and deepen my own personal faith in God.  

I'll check back with you from time to time and let you know how I'm doing.  I'm just beginning my journey with this new philosophy of life.  I'm sure I will stumble and falter.  If I do, I will begin again and rise above.  

Thank you for letting me share.  

😊Now on to that First Resolution...a Birthday Gift is first in the 2020 Stash Busting Queue (oh...there is that wonderful word again!)  Till next time....


   





No comments:

Post a Comment