Quilt Archive

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Princess in Pink Bed Quilt

Hello Blog Friends!

Another successful rummage sale is done and over!  Now I can get back to the business of crafting again.

Today I'd like to share one of two (almost) identical bed quilts I made for my granddaughters several years ago for Christmas.  I have two granddaughters, Hailey and Bridget.  Hailey is the oldest of the two sisters by one year.  The girls share a room and got new twin beds in the summer of 2010.  I had made curtains for the windows in their room earlier that year.  I was lucky enough to find more fabric in the same collection, and made matching quilts for their beds.  The fabric is all 100% Cotton Glitter Fabrics (Princess Collection) by Fabric Essentials.

One of the girls likes pink and the other likes purple.  This one was made for Bridget, with a pink B in the center block.  I used my Cricut machine to size and cut the pattern for the center initial block (using the Hello Kitty alphabet).  It is appliquéd with a tight zig-zag stitch for durability.

The pattern for the block is an Attic Windows variation called "Window Wonders" from Quick and Easy Weekend Quilting with Sulky by Joyce Drexler. The pattern utilized a strip set for the vertical centers of the blocks and the fold back method for the triangle corners.  This was a quick and easy quilt top to piece, using only rectangles and squares, and no triangles.  The triangles in the top are a product of a sewing technique and are an optical illusion.  I quilted it in a large cross-hatch pattern through the center of each block, but not through the center alphabet block.

 
Bridget was very impressed with her quilt, and loved the fact that it matched her curtains!  I'll share Hailey's quilt in my next post.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment