Quilt Archive

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Tulip Garden Flannel Lap Quilt

Hello Blog Friends!


In my last post, I shared the flannel quilt I made for Denis to use in our chilly lower level.  Well, once I made his, I realized that I needed a nice warm flannel quilt too!  Now we have "His & Hers" flannel quilts.  Both are made from the same pattern, but are quite different in presentation.

I chose to make my quilt a bit more feminine, of course.  While making the rounds of the quilt shops in Wausau several years ago, I found a line of flannel by Maywood Studios (aptly names Tulips) that captured my soul (you all know that feeling!)  I just absolutely had to have it.  The inspiration fabric for my quilt is the larger tulip print in the outer border.  This print is also the flannel I used for the back.  A smaller tulip print in the same fabric line was used for the center blocks.  A pink heather print was used for the sashing and binding and is from Maywood's Woolies line.  A green and cream dot was used for the inner and outer cornerstones (also by Maywood). 


As in Denis' lap quilt, I again used the pattern "Flannel Flinders Too" by Pine Tree Lodge Designs.  I used a solid outer border of my inspiration fabric, and a traditional one fabric binding.  Quilting was kept to a simple cross-hatch pattern through the center blocks, and a straight line all the way around through the outer border.  I also stitched a tulip motive in the outer border cornerstones.

I'm happy to report that my quilt keeps me very warm, indeed!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment