Quilt Archive

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Two Machines and a Cabinet

 Greetings Blog Friends,

I'm still working away on projects this week, so I thought I'd tell you the story about my sewing machines.  



This is Grace
She is a Viking Sapphire 850 and I acquired her new in 2009.  Grace is my workhorse machine.  She has sewn numerous quilts, home decor items, and a variety of other things.  She is my go-to machine for free motion quilting work.  She is named after my Grandmother, with whom I share a birthday.  Here is a picture of Grandmother Grace in the 1920's.  

This is FranShe is a Viking Sapphire 855 and is named for my Mother, with whom I shared a passion for sewing.  Mom was ready for a new sewing machine and really liked mine, so she bought hers in 2010.  It is basically the same machine, but hers has a few more built in stitches.  Fran sews beautifully, always perfect tension on stitches.  She is a bit finicky, tho,  and doesn't really like to free motion at all. I inherited Fran after Mom passed away in 2015.  Here is Mom's graduation picture in 1945.

The wonderful thing about both these machines is that they share the same accessories and attachments.  Most importantly, the share the same footprint, which made the design and construction of my sewing machine cabinet so much easier.  The machines are easily switched out when it is time to go to the shop. 


This cabinet was made by husband Denis and is a prized possession!  It was 3 years in the making and underwent several design changes.  Things I love most about it:

  • The space to the right of the machine.  I use this space for tools, fabrics, pattern, pin cushion, etc.  Everything pertaining to the current project all in one place.  I also keep a decorative project box there.  
  • The drawers.  The top two on the right-side hold tools and gadgets that I use all the time.  The bottom right side has stabilizers that use quite a bit.  The left side top drawer holds my threads, and the other two drawers hold tools and supplies that you need to have, but don’t use for every project.  The fun thin drawer just under the top holds rulers. 
  • The fold up extension that hangs in the back.  It doubles the flat workspace and supports larger projects well during the quilting project.  


Denis also made a plug for the machine hole so I can use this space for scrapbooking projects.

So now you know where I spend most of my days!  Happy crafting!  'Til next time...


 


No comments:

Post a Comment